Friday, February 1, 2008

Nobody’s ever given us one of these before


Sophie came by the centre today (Friday). She is leaving to go back to her job at a school about 50 miles away. While school is in session she lives in a boarding facility with other teachers, but she has been at home over the holidays. Also with Sophie was her father, who said he wanted to express his gratitude. We were so glad to meet him, and he understood English so we were able to converse easily.

To thank the Trafalgar community for the way that we helped Sophie (she was the paid librarian for several years, which meant she was able to finish school despite the death of her mother) they brought a gift: a secoco. Sophie brought it in under her arm and set it down on the floor in our living quarters. What is a secoco, you ask? A turkey! And yes, it was still alive.

Sophie showed me how to pick it up and hold it so that I could have my picture take with it. Then Barbara came and took it outside (I only stepped in turkey poop once). She found a rope and tied it up for us before asking, Would we be taking it home to Canada? Sadly, we will have to eat it here, I told her. Which is why Karin and Anne say that I can’t name him.

Oh well, it will taste good. What a great present. We only wish the rest of you were here to help us taste the gratitude.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! All we had at your house was chile and cornbread!!
There was great excitement at choir last night again about the blog. People are raving about your writing, Kristine..but, hay...we knew that! We sang Masooli from memory (even without Steve the basses did pretty well). We are all ready for a rousing rendition when you are all back.

Anonymous said...

Your travels sound fabulous!!! Kristine, you write beautifully and make it seem like we're all there with you. Enjoy the short time you have left.

Anonymous said...

It's so great to hear about all the roads you have travelled and are still travelling! You should write a book!!

Anonymous said...

Yo yo Dawgs.....Kristine I think your kids taught me that....oh wait I think it is the other way around!!!!...they are such a bad influence on me!!!

Sounds like a great trip. Having been to places such as Bangladesh, India, China, and Pakistan it brings back memories. The one that sticks with me is how much joy and optimism reigns within the souls of the people despite what we might perceive as being almost intolerable circumstances. The people of Uganda seem to be imparting the same feeling upon all of you....what a great experience isn't it?

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience with us!

The first step back on Air Canada in London will be very comforting....it will feel like you are already home. Safe travels and we look forward to having all of you back safe and sound in Oakville!!!

God Bless!

Dave

maryclairey said...

Kristine I support Mum and Karin in the decision not to name the turkey if you're planning on eating it... poor guy... but what a thoughtful gift.

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying reading about your adventures. And very interested to learn they have fabric stores you visited. I am anxious to hear first hand of your experiences when you return.

Love

Bunty

creditflats said...

Mmmm - Turkey....
Nellie wouldn't touch her turkey today - but it's not that great after going through the blender anyway.

Your stories are the first thing I look for every morning.

Looking forward to your return.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this amazing journalling Kristine! I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences. What an interesting time you are all having! I could never have imagined what you are describing. Have a safe journey home!

Anonymous said...

Full of gratitude if not turkey - thanks to you four for taking us to Uganda, to the committee and the community for the welcome and care, and to the many wonderful people for the things we have learned. Teddie was especially moving. My Stephen has asked if the people of Uganda feel there will ever be peace (from our song M.K.) and I have an answer in Teddie's words - Thank you!

Anonymous said...

OK, so I have been looking and looking for the posting about the fabric stores - my radar is failing me. Why am I missing this one?!

You will be on your way by the time this reaches you and I wish you all safe travels home. It will be an emotional goodbye - a memorable 17 days for you and also for your hosts. They have shown you such hospitality and friendship. I have loved reading every posting. Thanks for making this adventure one for all of us to enjoy. Godspeed.

Anonymous said...

The fabric story is on Karins blog

http://schemeitadventures.blogspot.com/