Thursday, January 31, 2008

A letter from Lawinter

Here is a letter from one of the students that Karin worked with on Tuesday morning. Many of them wrote letters and drew pictures for students in Canada. This is our favourite.

Dear Friends,

My name is Lawinter Foreste. I live in Uganda, Masooli. Uganda is a beautiful country. I am 12 years old. I am going in senior one at World Ahead SSS, Matugga.

I want to tell you about the life in Uganda. In Uganda we have two seasons, namely the rainy season and the dry season. In the rainy season, that is when people plant their crops and in the dry season that is when people harvest their crops for eating selling and getting money. We have four types of weather: sunny, rainy, windy cloudy. During the suny weather we experience sunshine throughout. During the rainy weather we experience rain. During the windy we experience wind and cloudy we experience types of clouds like Nimbus that bring rain, cirrus, stratus and cumulus.

Mrs. Karren has said that in Canada you have provinces but here in Uganda we have districts, tribes, clans, etc. we have tribes like Acholi, Langi, Baganda. Clans like Lugave, Momba and Mbogo. I Lawinter my clan is Lugave. And districts like Kampala, Moroto and Mbala. Kampala is the capital city of Canada. I want to come to your country but I have no access to money. Here in Uganda we have big lakes and rivers. We also have the second largest lake in the world called Lake Victoria and it also acts as the largest lake in Uganda. The longest river in Africa is called the Nile River. There are high mountains and rift valley lakes. The highest mountain in Uganda is mountain Rwenzori and in Africa is Kilimanjaro. Some of the rift valley lakes include Lake Albert, and some swampy lakes are Lake Kyoga. We do have any waterfall in Uganda like Murchison Falls and I would love to see Niagara Falls and the CN Tower.

There are big forests like Mabina and Budongo forests. I love visiting these forests because there are plenty of animals to see likr monkeys, cheetahs, deer, birds like doves, peagions, etc. I love birds. All about school. In my former school Buganda Road Primary School, we had 20 teachers and my class teacher was Johnson and other teachers were Florence for Science, David for Social Studies, and Samuel for English. Our headmistress was Mrs. Turyasingura Bitress. Uganda is a blessed country, After four years, Uganda experiences the eclipse of the sun and eclipse of the moon. Uganda has a good climate and plenty of animals like cows, donkeys, cheetahs and hyenas but we don’t have tigers, rhinos. Fishermen go fishing around lakes and they catch a lot of fish like Nile Perch and Talapia. Me as Lewinter, I belong to the wildlife club. I love to visit interesting places like the beach, forest, game parks. I love all the Canadians you sent to us. My hobbiues are playing netball, singing and dancing. I wish you come and visit our country. I have loved teacher Kerren, Pastor Christine, Mrs. Annet, and Mr. Steve.

Lastly, I send you greetings and may God bless you. I love you all.

Yours sincerely,

Forest Lawinter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treat to sit here on a freezing cold Canadian day and read about your cute experiences in Uganda. Tell Lawinter that I think she writes beautifully - I learned a lot about Uganda from her letter.

Anonymous said...

Another treasure of experiences and memories for you all! CUTE!!

Glad that you are on cockroach patrol!

Sounds as though you are receving some amazing gifts from the people you have met. Their wisdom and insights are gifts to us all. Loved to see the picture too! Thanks for keeping us part of this incredible journey.

Anonymous said...

A Message for Lawinter...
Thank you for your letter and your wonderful description of Uganda; you have a beautiful country. I wish we could visit some day and experience your marvelous hospitality. Today, it is cold here(-5C) but sunny and we are expecting 15 cm of snow tonight. Brrrrrr! I will be going out and riding a train to choir practice at Trafalgar church soon and will be thinking of all of you,our brothers & sisters. God bless you.

maryclairey said...

Thanks for posting again! Everyday I check to see what's up, realizing that you have lots to see and learn and do. My prayers are with you and all our brothers and sisters in Uganda.

God's Home Ministries, Masooli. said...

I have been impressed with your organizations trend , Lawinter is brilliant in her expressions and the way she has outlined her adventures fortunately we are situated just half a kilometre from where she was. We are at God's Home Christian Centre Masooli and we missed her visitation which would have given her a more astonishing story of our hidden treasures.[http://www.godshomemasooli.com ]is a little bit of some of the stuff we do or have. Good luck.